After much prodding, I’m blogging the skirts I’ve been making. I make these skirts from t-shirts I purchase at garage sales or secondhand stores. I wash and dry the shirts before I cut them out so they shouldn’t shrink anymore. I use a serger sewing machine to piece together sections of t-shirts to make really comfortable skirts! Send me a comment if you have any questions. -Susie
- Double T-Shirts – I use 2 t-shirt layers. Where some sellers only use single t-shirt layer. The problem with a single layer is that material tends to roll up, whereas 2 layers stay flush. Plus, 2 layers are more comfortable and give the skirt a better feel.
- Grommets – I use grommets to secure the drawstring openings. Without grommets, the openings would tend to tear.
- Tapered Wasteband – It takes more time to make a tapered wasteband, but the results are worth it. The skirts fit better, and you will look better wearing them.
- Drawstring – It is really important to have a drawstring. It will allow the skirt to fit well and securely. It also makes the size of the skirt more forgiving. This is especially nice for gifting.
- Extended Length – I make them a little longer so you can feel comfortable wearing them anywhere.